Self-discipline is the act of purposefully denying yourself of some things. It is a learned practice, hence the need to undergo self-discipline training. This training is made easy when you have resources to guide you like self-discipline books, and self-discipline quotes which you need for encouragement.
Because of the act of denial involved in the process of building self-discipline, many ask themselves this question- why is self-discipline important? Well, self-discipline is beneficial because it helps you to develop self-control and inner strength such that you can make better and more rational choices. Below are ways you can build your self-discipline.
1. Have A Purpose
Self-discipline is about finding strong reasons to do something, then committing yourself to see that task to the very end. For this to be possible, you have to have a goal or purpose in mind; something you want to achieve that you feel is worth sacrificing your momentary pleasure for.
2. Have A Plan Of Action
To avoid procrastinating, You have to think of the easiest ways you can execute your plan. Also to successfully execute your plan, break down your tasks into bits that you can undertake easily. For more details on how you can avoid procrastination, read my blog post titled 5 Effective Ways To Beat Procrastination.
3. Be Consistent
To effectively build self-discipline, consistency is key. You must find the motivation to keep doing what is important to you, whether or not you feel like it.
4. Deprive Yourself Of Some Pleasures
Self-discipline means self-denial. You must learn to practice voluntary hardship, so you can make rational choices and not choices based solely on your feelings.
5. Give No Room To Self Pity
Learn to practice delayed gratification and never play the victim, rather take responsibility for your actions and stay strong to the very end.
6. Ignore Critics
When trying to build self-discipline in any area of your life, many people whose ideologies are contrary to yours will mock you and see the need to frustrate your efforts. But you should ignore them and maintain
7. Identify People With Great Wisdom And Emulate Them
Look out for people that are rich in wisdom and make them your role models, so you can emulate them.
8. Associate With People Of Good Character
There is a popular saying that ‘he who walks with the wise will be wise. One of the fastest ways to build self-discipline is to associate with disciplined people.
9. Review Yourself
Find out what your strengths and weaknesses are, and recognize the excuses you give when trying to dissuade yourself from your goal. The essence of this is for you to know the strategies to put in place that will prevent you from making these excuses.
Self Discipline Examples
For a better understanding of how to build self-discipline. It is important to give some examples of what self-discipline is. The following are examples of self-discipline.
1. Manage Time
The daily time frame allotted to every living being is 24 hours. When you learn to apportion your time wisely to fit with the tasks you have to achieve daily, you are a disciplined person.
For instance, if as a mother you have to do some domestic chores for an hour, but get to relax by watching your favorite television program before the time, your ability to stop watching the program when the time you allotted for it is up and going about your domestic chores is self-discipline.
Exercise is a very important aspect of self-care because of its benefit of helping one to keep fit and stay healthy. Most people will not want to exercise, because of the discomfort the process brings with it. However, despite the odds, still choosing to undertake this process is discipline.
Rest like exercise is a good form of self-care. The ability to know when to rest as a person is a good indicator of discipline.
4. Hold Out Against Temptation
A good example of self-discipline here is being able to resist eating your favorite junk food when you are trying to lose weight and want to eat healthily.
Characteristics Of A Disciplined Person
From the above examples, it is evident that the following are the characteristics of a disciplined person.
1. They avoid and resist temptation
2. They are consistent
3. They engage in self-care
4. They recognise their strengths and weaknesses
5. They set executable goals
6. They work with deadlines
7. They put rational choices above feelings
8. They avoid distractions and stay focused
9. They focus on the reward they stand to gain from their voluntary hardship
10. They always make efforts to build good habits.
Self Discipline Quotes
The following self-discipline quotes will help to encourage anyone who wants to be more disciplined in his or her lifestyle.
1. “We do today what they won’t, so tomorrow we can accomplish what they can’t.” – Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson
2. “Winners embrace hard work. They love the discipline of it, the trade-off they’re making to win. Losers, on the other hand, see it as a punishment. And that’s the difference.” – Lou Holtz
3. “Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.” – George Washington
4. “A disciplined mind leads to happiness, and an undisciplined mind leads to suffering.” – Dalai Lama
5. “The successful person has the habit of doing the things failures don’t like to do. They don’t like doing them either necessarily. But their disliking is subordinated to the strength of their purpose.” – E.M. Gray“
6. “The only discipline that lasts is self-discipline.” – Bum Philips
7. “Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.” – Roy L. Smith
8. “With self-discipline, most anything is possible.” – Theodore Roosevelt
9. “If I want to be great I have to win the victory over myself…self-discipline.” – Harry S. Truman
10. “We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.” – Jim Rohn
Thanks for reading this article to the end. Self-discipline is one of the defining attributes of an accomplished individual. I encourage you to build self-discipline, so you can both attain success and live a more fulfilling life.