Kids are wonderful, but many times they like to seek our attention especially when we are too busy doing things they don’t understand. For instance, my little boy loves to always be around me. He is very clingy and wants me to be a part of everything he is doing and if I am too busy to attend to him, he gets fussy.
This can be quite stressful for me. As much as I love him, I don’t want him distracting me from my tasks for the day. I am sure a lot of mothers can relate to this. If you are in this situation, there are things you can do to calm your child and reassure her that you love her. One thing I know works like magic is to try to engage her in meaningful conversations.
Before your busy time, let your kid have a one-on-one conversation with you to build the bond and trust between you two. There are several engaging questions you can ask your kid, some of them are :
1. What makes you happy?
2. What have your friends been up to?
3. If you could do anything right now, what would you do?
4. What makes you feel loved?
5. How do you show people you care?
6. What does it feel like when I hug you?
7. What do you enjoy giving people?
8. Did you smile or laugh extra today?
9. How do you best like helping others?
10. Pretend you’re a chef and tell me about your restaurant. What foods do you serve?
11. What do you think you’re going to dream about tonight?
12. What makes you feel thankful?
13. Where would you like to travel? How would you get there?
14. What makes you feel energized?
15. What are some of the best things about nature?
16. What’s a memory that makes you happy?
17. What bugs you?
18. Describe a great day. What are you doing that makes it special?
19. Do you think it’d be fun to learn another language?
20. What are the three things you want to do this summer?
21. If you could make up a new holiday, what would it be?
22. What makes someone smart?
23. What makes your friends so awesome?
24. What makes you so awesome?
25. Do you have any inventions in your brain?
26. Do you think it’d be fun to learn another language?
27. Do you like it when other people share with you? Why?
28. If you were a teacher and could teach your students anything at all, what would you teach them?
29. What is the craziest thing you’ve ever eaten?
30. Who is your favorite storybook character?
31. What one thing do you do now that you need an adult for but would like to try to do all by yourself?
32. If a friend asks you to keep a secret that you don’t feel comfortable keeping, what would you do?
33. If you had to give everyone in the family new names, what would they be?
34. What would you do if you made the rules at home?
35. Tell me something about you that you think I might not know.
36. What is the funniest thing that ever happened to you?
37. What do you think your life will be like in the future?
38. What is the most wonderful thing that ever happened to you?
39. Who is your best friend and why?
40. If you could choose a new name for yourself, what would it be, and why?
41. What’s the coolest thing you saw someone do today?
42. How would you change the world if you could?
43. What do you know how to do that you can teach to others?
44. Did you catch anyone doing something funny?
45. Did anyone do anything super nice for you?
46. What was the nicest thing you did for someone else?
47. Who made you smile today?
48. What new fact did you learn today?
49. Who brought the best food in their lunch today? What was it?
50. If one of your classmates could be the teacher for the day who would you want it to be? Why?
51. Did anyone push your buttons today?
52. Who do you want to make friends with but haven’t yet? Why not?
53. Tell me something you learned about a friend today.
54. What was your favorite subject to study today? Why?
55. What is one thing you did today that was helpful?
56. What rule was the hardest to follow today?
57. Which person in your class is your exact opposite?
58. Which area of your school is the most fun?
59. Which playground skill do you plan to master this year?
60. Do you believe in ghosts?
61. What’s the ugliest name you’ve ever heard?
62. How old do you think I am?
63. Where in the universe do you want to go for a visit?
64. Who is your worst enemy and why?
65. What do want to be when you grow up?
66. If you were to give me a nickname, what would it be?
67. What’s your dream vacation?
68. What makes a good friend?
69. Describe yourself in one word.
70. What’s your favorite book?
71. What’s your favorite meal?
72. What’s your favorite dessert?
73. If you had to give all of your toys away, who would you give them to?
74. What is your favorite word?
75. What’s the funniest thing you can think of?
76. What do you like best about your sister? Brother?
77. What two things do you like about YOU best?
78. What do you think you need to work on?
79. What do you like most about school?
80. What do you like least about school?
81. What’s the most important part of being a happy family?
82. What goal do you have for this year?
83. What’s your idea of a perfect day?
84. Would you rather take a train ride or airplane ride?
85. Would you rather be inside all day or outside all day?
86. Would you rather live in the city or a farm?
87. Which country in the world, do you love the most? And why?
88. Who inspires you the most?
89. Where is your dream holiday destination?
90. What is your best color?
If your child isn’t initially excited about answering your questions, don’t worry and don’t rush her to answer or move on to another question too quickly. Let your child take her time, it shows that you’re genuinely interested in what she has to say, and not just robotically asking questions.
Pin For Later